Friday 6 April 2012

Homemade Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs

Pin It

Easter always comes with the best candy. For me, that means Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs- I'm a freakin' loon about peanut butter and chocolate together. Is there any better combination?

So when I saw these on Brown Eyed Baker, I knew I had to try them! I want to begin making homemade versions my favourite chocolate candy bars. I'm helping my grandma host Easter dinner this year, so I figured I'd make a little after-dinner treat. (Even when you're full, there's always room for a treat- right?) Even if you can't make these until after Easter, these would be great as little round truffles (i.e. Buckeyes), which are really popular lately.

These Peanut Butter Eggs only have 6 ingredients (most of which you have on hand already) and take one hour to make. How much simpler can it get? It would probably take you longer to go to the grocery store and buy Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. (Especially with Easter being on Sunday!) These are way better than store-bought-- but aren't most things better homemade? These are seriously delicious. These would be great as gifts, either to kids or the people you're hosting dinner for!

My eggs aren't perfectly egg-shaped and the chocolate layer isn't perfect, either. I'm still learning styling and being a bit neater in my cooking, so bear with me :)


Homemade Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs
Yield: About 15 eggs (depending on how big you make them)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter
  • ¼ cup light brown sugar
  • 1¼ cups powdered sugar
  • 2 cups milk chocolate chips (or 12 ounces milk chocolate, chopped)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
  1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper; set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine the peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar over medium heat. Heat until completely melted and starting to bubble a little, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the powdered sugar a ¼ cup at a time, stirring until completely combined with the peanut butter mixture after each addition. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
  3. Using a medium cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon, scoop out peanut butter mixture and shape into eggs. I found it easiest to roll the scoop into a ball, and then roll it into a short cylinder. I placed it on the baking sheet, and then used my fingers to shape the ends into an egg-like oval. Refrigerate to allow the peanut butter eggs to set, about 30 minutes.
  4. Once the peanut butter eggs are set, melt the chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted. One at a time, dip a peanut butter egg into the chocolate and, using a fork, flip it over so it is completely covered. Remove it from the bowl, letting any excess chocolate drip off. Return it to the baking sheet, and repeat with all of the peanut butter eggs. Sprinkle with decorations, if desired. Return the chocolate-covered peanut butter eggs to the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set, about 30 minutes. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker.


Cheers,
Izzy V.



Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your site on the Saturday blog hop. Your recipes look yummy, especially these eggs! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - I would eat all of these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how hard it was to NOT eat them all-- good thing I had family that scarfed them down before I could inhale the whole batch myself ;)

      Delete
  3. I recently found this recipe, too! I was going to try them - but after reading your post, I want to try them TODAY! YUMMMMM!
    -ourheirloomlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope they turn out well for you! :)

      Delete
  4. this is the recipe I use too..and they are soooooooo good!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following back :) Happy (belated) Easter!

      Delete
  5. Mmmm..looks so yummy and yet so dangerous at the same time!! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My two favorite things ever! Those look simply delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

    Katie @ Little Becky Homecky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I am so going to have to try these! Thanks for linking up to Sweet & Simple Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having this recipe could be dangerous...absolutely no control on how many we make and eat! Looks so delicious! We hope you'll be back to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We loved having you! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! You'll be one of my featured posts this weekend at Sweet & Simple Sunday! Make sure you stop by and grab a button!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh la la! Love these! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

    http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I'd like to invite you to link up on Saturday Spotlight @ Angels Homestead tomorrow. I'll be featuring Easter treats and crafts soon, and would love to include this in the collection.

    http://angelshomestead.com/

    Hope to see you there :)

    April

    ReplyDelete